Thursday, January 25, 2007

Movie Time with Lizard


Last Saturday night we went to see the much talked about Pan's Labyrinth. It surprised me in many ways, but I was was most taken aback by its violence. This movie is not for the squeamish! I spent a good deal of the movie with my face in Andrew's shoulder. I was expecting to be in the 'labyrinth' most of the movie, but in fact this magical world is shown less than half the time. Maybe I was expecting Bowie's classic Labyrinth??

The basic plot is that Ofelia and her mother are taken out to the countryside to live in an old mill with her new Step-father who is a Nazi Captain fighting the local guerrillas in the surrounding woods. You learn very quickly of his cruelty and to be afraid, be very afraid. Behind the mill is an old Labyrinth where Ofelia is eventually led as she tries to survive her new environment and step-father.

The movie is two narratives woven together and yet they really never meet. I kept wanting one of the creatures to 'get' the captain, but that doesn't happen. (sigh)

If you have seen the trailers then you have seen most, but not all, of the 'labyrinth' scenes. By the way, the scene with the guy with eyes in his hands was truly frightening. This creature comes right out of a child's nightmare!

The soundtrack is haunting and beautiful and it is very well acted.

So out of 5 Lizards, I give it 4 1/2 Lizards. It is amazing, but I could have done with more magic and less brutality.

Comments:
I haven't seen this movie, but really want to. The previews reminded me of the George MacDonald fairy tales...
 
I just feel really sorry for that half-lizard.
 
I know. I wonder if it was the head or tail??
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?