Monday, January 01, 2007

The Christ Child.

I think I mentioned previously that the pope's Christmas Eve homily this year really moved me. M. and I are blessed to know many adopted children, and have dear friends, like Lizard--who look forward to a little person joining their families thru adoption. My husband and I have mulled over adoption for sometime now....lately it's been on my mind much more than usual....thinking about all the children in the world who need families. So I really loved the way the pope framed the gospel on Christmas Eve....It reminds me of gospel truth, and makes me remember all those children......Here is an excerpt from his homily:

God’s sign is simplicity. God’s sign is the baby. God’s sign is that he makes himself small for us. This is how he reigns. He does not come with power and outward splendour. He comes as a baby – defenceless and in need of our help. He does not want to overwhelm us with his strength. He takes away our fear of his greatness. He asks for our love: so he makes himself a child........
He became a child, so that the Word could be grasped by us. In this way God teaches us to love the little ones. In this way he teaches us to love the weak. In this way he teaches us respect for children. The child of Bethlehem directs our gaze towards all children who suffer and are abused in the world, the born and the unborn. Towards children who are placed as soldiers in a violent world; towards children who have to beg; towards children who suffer deprivation and hunger; towards children who are unloved. In all of these it is the Child of Bethlehem who is crying out to us; it is the God who has become small who appeals to us. Let us pray this night that the brightness of God’s love may enfold all these children. Let us ask God to help us do our part so that the dignity of children may be respected. May they all experience the light of love, which mankind needs so much more than the material necessities of life.

Comments:
Beautiful sweetpea. I am in fact working on a new adoption blog. You can check it out, but I am still tweaking. I'm not sure about the format. www.BringingMeiHome.blogspot.com
 
Thank you, Sweetpea. That homily really touches me deeply. I'm glad you shared it.
 
Thanks for sharing, that was wonderful.
 
Lovely...
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?