Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Fall Gardens.

In the next few weeks the fifth and sixth grades will plant our fall gardens. Here's what we're planting:

From seed:

spinach
lettuce
alyssum (to decorate the borders of our raised bed)
beets

Plants:

decorative cabbage (for the borders)
broccolli
various herbs


It's awfully easy for me to idealize the planting process....all the children enraptured by nature, kneeling and planting this adorable garden. In reality, planting day tends to create a mob mentality, with kids asking if they can go play on the swings. (sigh) Actually, it's not that bad, just not the cozy Charlotte Mason picture I have in my head. Last week I had all the kids design a garden diagram in their nature books. This year's group really took to the idea and did some really beautiful designs! I was proud of them. So we'll see how it goes once we venture outside.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?